4-Ingredient Homemade Mayo
Majority of the store bought mayo's are made from soybean oil or canola oil. Both of those are high GMO foods, highly refined, and provide you with little to no nutrients. In fact, they are loaded with the fats you do not want and also have those dreaded, unnecessary added-sugars that are slowly creeping into every processed food we buy.
Mayonnaise at it's simplest form is NOT bad for you. So why not kick it old school, use good, clean, simple ingredients, and make it yourself! That way we can enjoy the mayo based foods we love i.e. chicken salad & coleslaw! There are some awesome brands of mayo that you can buy at the store, like Primal Kitchen or Chosen Foods. I keep a jar or two in my pantry for mayonnaise emergencies BUT they are more costly so this method also helps keep the grocery bill down! Plus, this homemade mayo is so creamy and it takes less than 3 minutes to make!
Serving size: about 2 cups
Prep time: 30 seconds
Cook (blend) time: 2 minutes
Total time: 2 minutes and 30 seconds
- 8 ounces of light tasting olive oil OR avocado oil
- Juice of 1 medium size lemon (about 2 tbsp.)
- 1 egg
- 2 pinches of salt (sea salt or pink Himalayan salt)
- Poor oil in a wide mouth mason jar or any jar that works well with your emulsion blender.
- Crack in your whole egg and let it go to the bottom.
- Add lemon juice and salt.
- Take your Emulsion Blender and place the blade over the top of the egg yolk that is at the bottom of the jar. With the emulsion blender touching the bottom of the jar, turn it on and begin to blend (emulsify). I have have mine at the medium speed setting. As it begins to emulsify, slowly start to lift the blender to continue mixing the remainder of the ingredients. As you reach the top, all of the ingredients are blended and you are left with thick, creamy , clean mayonnaise!
This will keep in your refrigerator for up to 2 weeks so make sure and date your mayonnaise jar! Now go make something with it, guilt free!
Peace and Clean Eats,