Whole 30 Buffalo Chicken Tenders w/ Lemon Kale Salad
Who doesn't LOVE buffalo chicken tenders? They are an American food staple but the battering and frying is not favorable for your health or waistline. Well, if you get a littler creative and use some pretty amazing ingredients, you don't have to miss out on this all-time favorite! By using arrowroot as a light "breading" and some clean, tasty buffalo sauce, you cannot go wrong. Arrowroot is actually an herb so that makes it grain-free, corn-free, dairy-free, ALL THE THINGS that make my world go round! It works great as a thickening agent and is a great substitute for corn-starch. So get you a bag of Arrowroot (linked is my favorite brand BUT you can find in almost ALL grocery stores), keep it in your pantry and use whenever a recipe calls for corn-starch or you are in need of a thickening agent.
And then, by pairing these tenders with this amazing red kale salad, your getting your good, lean protein and your nutrient dense greens! Let's get to cookin'!
Serving size: 2
Prep time: 8-10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Ingredients(Buffalo Chicken Tenders):
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts OR 2 lbs. of chicken tenderloins
- 1 tbsp. arrowroot starch/flour
- 1 tbsp. avocado oil
- 1/2 cup of Frank's Red Hot
Ingredients(Lemon Kale Salad):
- 1 bundle of red kale
- Juice of 1 large lemon OR 2 small ones (about 2 tbsp. of juice)
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large green onion (for topping)
- 2 tbsp. hemp seeds (for topping)
- If working with chicken breasts and not tenderloins, slice chicken breast into 1-inch strips. They can be any length that you prefer! You're the boss!
- Sprinkle the arrowroot starch all over the tenders and season generously with salt and pepper. Toss around tenders to evenly coat with the arrowroot and s+p.
- In a larget skillet (preferably cast-iron) heat 1 tbsp. of avocado oil. Once hot, add first batch of chicken tenders. Do them in batches not to over crowd that pan. This will make it easier to control the heat and make sure you are getting that crispy "fry" you are looking for.
- Cook each side evenly and as each batch is done, place the cooked tenders on a paper towel & plate to soak up any excess oil.
- While the chicken is cooking begin to assemble salad.
- Remove as much of the inner stem of the kale leaves as possible. Once that is done chop thoroughly the bundle of kale.
- Place chopped kale in a large bowl. Fresh squeeze the juice of one large lemon. Add 2 tbsp. of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Once all ingredients are added use your hands to massage the crap out of the leaves, making sure every square inch is coated with the oil and lemon juice. Place bowl of salad in the fridge.
- Now it's time to finish the strips. Place chicken strips in a mixing bowl, add 1/2 cup of the Frank's Red Hot Sauce and toss until evenly coated
- Pull salad out of fridge and put a generous helping on your plate. Top salad with sliced green onion and hemp seeds. Add your buffalo tenders and serve with compliant Tessemea's Ranch Dressing!
- Let me know if you need my address to send me a thank you card!
Peace and Clean Eats,